General Questions

How do I renew my permits/licenses?

You will need to contact the Board of Dentistry.  The ODF only offers the courses.  The Board of Dentistry is the State Agency that issues permits, certifications, and licenses.

My "one-year chairside" is in a few months, can I go ahead and enroll or do I need to wait.

We allow people to go ahead and enroll in a course that takes place AFTER their one-year chairside.  (Example: Assistant's start date is March 2, 2016 so they can enroll in a course that takes place March 4-5, 2017.  If the assistant's start date is March 5, 2016, they would NOT be eligible for a course taking place March 4-5, 2017 because their one-year is after the first day of the course.)

What if I am a few days short the one-year chairside requirement?

The Board of Dentistry is firm on the ONE YEAR.  If the course starts on December 1 and your one year is December 2, you have to wait until the next course.  If the Board discovers this document was knowingly falsified, both the assistant and the dentist could receive punishment from the Board.

Does my FORMER employer need to sign my employment verification?

No.  The employment verification form (EVF) needs to be signed by your CURRENT employer, even if you haven't been with that employer a year.  The burden of proof is on the employing dentist so verifying work history with former employers is recommended if in doubt.

If you are filling out the EVF for a CORONAL POLISHING course, make sure you meet the six-month policy as well.

Explain the "six months with at least one employer" policy

This policy is IN ADDITION TO the one-year chairside policy for Coronal Polishing and BOTH qualifications have to be met.  What it means is if you have been working one-year chairside, during that time, you must have worked for at least one employer for six months.

Example: the Dental Assistant A has worked chairside for 12 full months.  Three months with Dr. A, six months with Dr. B, and is currently been with Dr. C for three and a half months.  Because the dental assistant worked for Dr. B six months, Dental Assistant A qualifies to take the coronal polishing course.

Dental Assistant B has worked chairside for 12 full months as well.  Three months with Dr. A, four months with Dr. B, and five months with Dr. C.  Dental Assistant B does NOT qualify to take the coronal polishing course because the assistant has not been with a dentist for 6 months since they started working chairside.

I got a message the course I want to enroll for is no longer taking submissions.

The course is full. You will need to choose another course date.

I did not receive a course confirmation email.

Confirmation emails are sent to the email address provided on the payment form.  If your employer paid for your course and provided their email or an office email, this is where the confirmation was sent to.  We're sorry for the inconvenience, but this is a feature of the system that cannot be changed at this time.

If the email provided on the payment form did not receive the confirmation, first check the junk/spam mail folder.  If it is not there, please contact our office.  We'll need to know the course name/date, the applicant's name, and if possible the day/time of day the application was submitted.

Do you send out course reminders?

An email will be sent to the email address used on the payment page confirming your enrollment shortly after payment for your course has been received.  Two (2) weeks before the course (three weeks for Local Anesthesia) you will receive your course packet which will be your final notice.  These packets are sent by email for Coronal Polishing, Sealants, and Nitrous.  Radiation and Local Anesthesia packets are sent by mail because they contain a book. It is recommended you put your course date on your calendar to remind you that you have a course coming up.  If you don't receive your packet two week before, please contact us because we have no way of knowing the packet didn't make it to you unless it comes back to us.

How are course packets sent?

Coronal Polishing, Sealant, and Nitrous packets are sent by email.  Please add [email protected] to your safe sender list to help prevent it from going to your junk mail.

Radiation & Local Anesthesia packets are sent by mail because they have a book.  They will be mailed to the address on your application.

Can I be added to a wait list?

Yes, but transfer fees and/or late fees may apply if a spot becomes available. To be added to a wait list, please fill out the Wait List form.

I have an employee enrolled in a course and would like to replace them with another employee. Can I do that?

Yes, as long as it is not the week of the course but transfer fees will apply. See Refund/Transfer Policy & Fees for details.

I have an employee enrolled in a course that is no longer working for me. Can I get a refund?

Yes, as long as it is not the week of the course. See Refund/Transfer Policy & Fees for details.

What are eChecks?

An eCheck is an electronic payment where the money is directly withdrawn from your checking account, just like writing a check.

The ODF processes all eChecks through Authorize.Net uses the latest 128-bit Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology for secure Internet Protocol (IP) transactions.

For more information on eChecks, please visit

Who is the "Dental Professional".

When the Oklahoma Dental Foundation, the Oklahoma Dental Association, or the Board of Dentistry use the term "dental professional" that is anyone who works in a dental profession (dental assistant, dental hygienist, dentist, etc.)  If you have received something that is addressed to the "dental professional" or is asking for the dental professional's name, that is the applicant.

It has been a considerable amount of time and I still have not received my permit.

You will need to contact the Board of Dentistry.

Will my certification(s) transfer from another state?

You will need to contact the Board of Dentistry for an answer to that question.  The Oklahoma Board of Dentistry is the state agency who has authority to issue permits and licenses.

I let my permit expire. Do I need to retake the course?

Most likely yes, but you will need to contact the Board of Dentistry for a more definite answer.

I took my course over a year ago, but have not applied for my permit. Can I still get my permit?

Most likely you will have to re-take the course, but you will need to contact the Board of Dentistry for a more definite answer.

I moved since I submitted my course application. What do I need to do?

Course packets are generally emailed to the address on your application, with the exception of Radiation & Local Anesthesia which require books. If you are enrolled in one of those two courses, please email Stacey Bonham the following information:

  • Applicant Name
  • Course Name
  • Course Date
  • New Address (include City, State, Zip)
  • Daytime Contact Number

Or fill out the Change of Address form.

Where is the closest hotel?

The closest options that we would recommend are either the Embassy Suites Downtown/Medical Center or hotels in the Bricktown area of Oklahoma City.  There are a couple of moderately priced (mid $100's) options within 2 miles of the College of Dentistry.  If you are looking for something a little lesser priced, there are a lot of nationally known options within 5 miles that generally run under $100.  Most of the nationally known chains (Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn, etc.) will allow you to search near an address.  The College of Dentistry's address is 1201 N. Stonewall Ave, Oklahoma City, 73117.