Radiation Safety

This FAQ is specifically for the Radiation Safety course. For questions relating to courses in general, please refer to the General Questions.

Do I have to be employed to take this course?

Employment is NOT required for this course but it is recommended unless you are currently in dental assisting school due to the need to complete x-rays under the supervision of a dentist within one (1) year of taking the course.

Am I automatically certified to take radiographs after passing the course.

NO. Please be aware that passing the course is only the first step to getting your certification. A few weeks following the exam, you will get an email from the Board of Dentistry* with the application you need to apply for your radiation certification.  Once you have completed your required number of radiographs, your supervising dentist will sign off on your application and you will return it along with the application fee to the Board of Dentistry*.  You have one (1) year from your test date to submit your application for your permit.

*The application for your permit does NOT come for the ODF and cannot be returned to the ODF.  The Board's mailing address will be on the application.

How do I find out when I completed my online course?

Log in to your course page and click on “View Purchased Programs”, and then click on “Certificate” to the right of “Radiation Safety and Protection – Final Exam”.  It will be toward the bottom of your certificate next to “Participant exited program at”.

Is the test open book?

Starting in 2018, the test will no longer be open book.  Most of the online testing facilities don't allow students to have anything in the testing room.  LIVE course participants will be allowed to use the study guide only because they do not have time to study between the lecture and the test.  BOOKS will no longer be allowed during testing for either course but will be made available through a link on the Radiation Safety (LIVE) website or under "Other Resources" when you login to your online course page. for those who choose to use them for advanced study.

Do I need to print off the book?

The book will not be allowed during the exam, so you are not required to print it off.  It can be printed off though if you prefer to study it before the course.  The exam will only cover the information from the lecture.

Do I have to renew my permit every year?

Yes, a new rule was passed in 2013 requiring Radiation Safety permits to be renewed annually.  You do this by renewing your Dental Assisting Permit through the Board of Dentistry.

I never received -OR- lost the form to record my 200 radiographs on.

You will need to contact the Board of Dentistry.

How many of my 200 radiographs can be panoramic?

Please contact the Board of Dentistry.  They have a process for those who work in offices that do not take regular radiographs (like ortho offices).

How long do I have to apply for my Radiation Safety permit?

One (1) year from the time you took the course.

I have a documented learning disability and need more than an hour to complete my exam.

We ask that everyone take the exam the same way the first time.  If you have a DOCUMENTED learning disability that prevented you from passing the test because you ran out of time, contact Stacey Bonham.

I have an online course question that isn't answered here.

We outsource all of our online courses to a 3rd party company (SeminarWeb).  See their FAQ page for answers to additional questions specific to their services.